On Monday, we cleaned up from the weekend, caught up on laundry, got out our Easter decorations and had a FHE by Emma on the symbols of Easter.
The weather up here was beautiful Monday through Wednesday, though! In fact, we were brave enough to pull out all of our springy clothes, including flip flops and shorts, because it was really going to warm up, yay! Getting out and organizing and washing clothes for 4 kids is not an easy task though, it was a pain, and I'm glad it's done! But there's something that feels so good about slipping on some shorts and flip flops after a long winter! Cal and Em loved playing in the backyard. Callahan especially is so anxious to be outside again, since he doesn't like the cold. He was going in and out all day, and I'm so happy to see him this active outdoors again.
On Tuesday, we went downtown to play "Where's Rawley?" They have a bunch of little pictures of this pronghorn named Rawley hidden in businesses around main street that you have to find. Then you get the owner of the business to sign your passport. The kids had fun playing this game; some were tricky to find, but we found twelve of them so we were entered into the drawing for prizes. It was nice to get out of the house and the weather was amazing!
We were able to head down to Utah for Spring break Wednesday after daddy got off work, we headed to Utah. The four hour drive whizzes right past, since we were used to a 10 hour drive. It was a beautiful drive, too! When we got out of Morgan canyon and were driving on I-15, we noticed the green grass and trees! "Green!" we all exclaimed! We were shocked by that, since we don't have anything really growing yet, and not as much green in general as there. We were also shocked again by all of the traffic. We're not used to being stuck in a traffic jam or that many cars in general being out and about! That's something we don't miss! We were greeted by the Ryerse bunch, everyone came out! Tayla was waiting in the window and ran out and gave Emma (and the rest of us) huge hugs. She's such a sweetie! Then we had spaghetti, made by Stacy, yum! Lucy was magically better and ran around with Brody. And of course, Cal and Kaison got loud! It is always so sweet to see their reunions. Our kids sure love their cousins! We visited and played that night, it was good! Tayla gave Emma a stack of pictures and things she's made for her at school, it was so sweet! And Amber painted a cute picture of Emma to give to her as well.
Thursday, I went on a shopping excursion with Emma, which was so nice! I bought some new clothes, a couple of pairs of shoes, and some new PJs for me. I usually don't spend much money on myself, so it was kinda fun. And we bought some other things on our list of stuff to buy once we got to civilization again. That afternoon, we went over to Grandma Di's to play with her. We loved playing in the backyard, and painting pictures with her. She's always got some great things for the kids to do! Then we went to the park to play. The weather was incredible! It hit 80 degrees, my perfect day right there! That night, we went to Chuck-a-Rama for dinner. Dave's been having a hankering for their food and it used to be the joke that it was Up-Chuck-a-Rama, but I really like their food, too! We went with Grandma & Grandpa Ryerse, Jeff & Shirley, Randy and Julie. We enjoyed the slushies and scones and the good company we had.
Friday morning, Dave & I went to the Bountiful Temple to do an endowment session. It was so amazing to be back! It had been a while since we've been able to go together! The flowers outside were beautiful and I had the song stuck in my head "Going Home". That's kind of how it feels when I go there, kind of like a home to help me get back to my Heavenly Home. We got to view the new film, and it was remarkable! I had so many new insights. One thing that stuck with me was "Come unto Jesus" and how throughout our lives he's extending his arms and we just need to go after it. I love the feeling at the temple and the things I learn. Back at Grandma Di and Grandpa Scott's, the kids went for a ride around the neighborhood in the Beast, went to a park to play, dyed and decorated Easter eggs, and played tennis. Then we left to go get Emma some soccer gear, since she decided last minute to play. We bought Cal shin guards and cleats already after convincing him it was okay to play soccer and football too. He always said "No, I'm just waiting for football!" and we tried to convince him playing soccer would help him learn to play on a team and get him strong for football too and told him other friends who were playing that might be on his team. Finally the peer pressure worked. Emma picked out some bright blue and neon green ones cleats. It will be fun to be a soccer mom! Then we met up with the Meads, Keri and her kids Aidan and Madison for a picnic and to play at the park. They were our old friends from South Ogden. It was fun to catch up and let the kids play. The kids acted like BFF's, they were cute! Aidan was convinced Keri & I are twins, except her hair is dark and mine is light. Ha ha! He also remembered a craft we did at our house when he and Emma were like 3, I was impressed. Friday night, Dave & I went to see Captain America: Winter Soldier. Randy came too, he was our third wheel, ha ha! JK! He's fun! The movie was very good! I loved the first one, and this one was just as good. I also appreciate the messages it had and that it was very clean. I liked that it emphasized that we need to stand up for good even if no one else is because there is so much corruption around us everywhere.
No sleeping in on Saturday, as we went to my parents bright and early for an egg hunt and Easter breakfast. It was so fun, I love my parents and siblings! The breakfast was delicious! We had lemon cream cheese coffee cake, potato cakes, fruit, and scrambled eggs. Then we went out for the egg hunt. This was Cov and Boji's first egg hunt, they were sure cute! The other kids loved it, and were nice to help each other out and make sure everyone had the same amount of eggs. Then we all got dressed and ready to go to our neice Amber's baptism.
We got to the church early and helped set up a little and get ready for her party she was going to have after. Then we went in and enjoyed the program for Amber and two other little kids from her stake. It was packed, standing room only even for these three little ones! One of the children's grandmother spoke on being baptized and becoming a part of the Lord's team. She said we need to help each other out, play by the rules, and wear Jesus Christ's name on our jersey. It was a great analogy! Then Amber and the other two and a few other children sang together and they were so sweet and the Spirit was so strong. Mark and Mayela asked me to do a talk for the program about the Holy Ghost. So I related the Holy Ghost to nail polish. Many were surprised by this idea, but once they heard it, it made sense and a few asked me to share. So here you go...
The Holy Ghost and Nail
Polish
I
have just given you something, a bottle of nail polish (and paints for the boy). It’s a gift I gave you, but you have received
a much better gift from our Heavenly Father.
In fact, the best gift. I’m sure
you know what I’m talking about, the gift of the Holy Ghost. My gift is much smaller and insignificant,
but I’m going to compare it to the Holy Ghost, how to use it and its functions
today.
I
gave you this nail polish because I know it’s something you like. God gave us the Spirit not because he knew we’d
like it, but because he knew we needed it to get back to Him someday. I gave
you the gift, but just because you have it, doesn’t mean you open it up or ever
use it. It’s up to you as to whether you
will use it or not. It’s the same way
with the third member of the Godhead. You
can have the nail polish in our hands, but it may never be used for its
purpose. You have received the Holy Ghost,
it’s been given to you through the laying on of hands, but will you receive it,
will you use it?
First,
in order to use the nail polish, you need to open it up. Just like the Holy Ghost, you will need to be
open to the Spirit by keeping the commandments, praying to recognize the Holy
Ghost, and listening for the promptings and waiting for the feelings from the
Holy Ghost.
Then,
once you open the nail polish, the brush doesn’t work magic and paint your
fingernails for you. You have to do your
part and pick up the brush and paint.
You need to act. With the Spirit,
when you receive promptings or learn something, you need to do what you are
told or feel. This takes practice. Like painting your nails, at first, things
are kind of sloppy and I still get nail polish not just on my finger and toe
nails, but I’m still practicing and being very careful so I can someday get
perfect nails. It takes practice too to
learn what the Holy Ghost feels or sounds like to you, because for each person,
it’s different. Take a few moments after
your prayers to feel and listen. To
some, and at different times, the Holy Ghost sounds almost like an audible
sound or be a strong “burning in your bosom” as this bright orange paint. To others, and at other times, it is a quiet
whisper, a simple thought, or a gentle feeling like this cool blue color.
In the
April 2014 General Conference, Elder Packer said that “the Holy Ghost doesn’t
change us in a noticeable way”. You
won’t look any different after receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost. But you will feel different. When you paint your nails, they don’t grow
longer, or get wider or thicker. They’re
still the same finger or toe nails, but they are different and have a
covering. The Holy Ghost helps cover us
in many ways. The Holy Ghost has many
purposes, just like nail polish.
Just
as certain nail polishes protect our nails, the Holy Ghost can protect us, if
we listen and obey. The Holy Ghost can
keep us safe and I know I’ve been protected many times, thanks to this
wonderful Gift.
Other
nail polishes are clear. The Holy Ghost
helps us learn and understand, and see things more clearly.
Like
this red and green nail polish, the Holy Ghost can guide us, telling us when to
start doing something or stop doing something.
He can tell us which direction to go and what choice to make.
Sometimes
when I’m down or need a change, I paint my fingernails or toenails, and it
makes me feel better. The Holy Ghost is
a comforter, can cheer us, and give us peace.
This
nail polish glows in the dark. If we’re
unsure of something or confused, the Holy Ghost can help us to learn and
understand, leading us from the dark to the light.
I
love this glitter nail polish because it looks like it has tiny mirrors. The Spirit helps us discern things and see
things as they really are.
Finally,
sometimes we make mistakes and need a corrector. The Holy Ghost helps us to do this too. When
we make a mistake, he helps gives us feelings that move us to repentance so we
can be clean again and have the Holy Ghost back.
“The
Holy Ghost will tell you all things which ye should do.”
I
hope when you paint your nails or see others with painted nails, you will think
of the Holy Ghost and evaluate if you’re taking advantage of and using the
gift. It will bless your life more than
anything else can. I know the Holy Ghost
provides Protection, Clarity, Guide, Comfort, Understanding, Discernment, and Correction. I’m thankful I’ve been given that gift, and
hope you and I can continue to learn how to use it better so it can bless us and those around us and help get us home to our Heavenly Father someday.
After my talk, we went and witnessed the children get baptized. Marko baptized Amber in Spanish, so that was interesting. Then, we got to see them all be confirmed and receive the Holy Ghost. It was very nice, though I had to go change Coverton's massive diaper blow out right during Amber's confirmation so I missed most of that. We are so proud of Amber, and grateful for her and Tayla's example. Emma can't wait for her turn now that she's been to many friend's baptisms and now her two cousins.
Following that, we had Amber's Frozen themed party. We went to the gym for a lunch and had ham sandwiches, blue punch, pasta salad, fruit, and chocolate covered strawberries. Then there were two cakes and an ice-cream bar. Everything was delicious and fun. A special visitor, Elsa (character from the Frozen movie, one of my Mom's piano students) came to greet and sing to and with the children. It was very exciting! After that, we had a giant Frozen Mexican style pinata. Coverton loved the pinata stick and had the hugest grin on his face when he was holding it! The other kids all loved taking their three whacks to try to get it open. We then sang to Amber and had cake. Mayela told her to take a bite of it and then she smashed her face in the cake...I'm thinking that's a Mexican tradition? Then we"had a couple of games, Pin the Nose on Olaf, and I planned a few more, the Love is an Open Door ice melt game and Would You Like to Build a Snowman game. We left though, because Emma had an eye appointment and so I handed the game responsibilities over to my Mom. I guess everyone loved playing them and we were sad the party took so long we didn't get to stay for all of it.
We left to Emma's optometrist appointment, since her teacher has been telling us for a while he thinks she needs glasses and she's been telling us that too. Emma acted a little droopy and during the party, she started saying her tummy hurt and she didn't really feel well. Well, we were in with the doc, and getting her eyes tested and Emma told me she felt like she needed to throw up. So we ran out of the screening room and barely walked into the bathroom, when Emma threw up all over the floor. Poor thing! We got it all cleaned and mopped in there, and I told Em we could reschedule, but she said she was fine. So we finished up, and sure enough she's near sighted and will need to wear glasses most of the time. Then we picked out some frames, she did a good job choosing and I'm excited for her to get them! When we got back, Emma just kept throwing up the rest of the night, poor girl! :(
Saturday night, we had a little family birthday party for Dave. We had Little Ceasar's pizza (his favorite) and talked and watched some shows. Then we had cheesecake and pineapple upside down cake and sang to him. It's always classic when the Ryerse's sing their rendition of "Happy birthday"! It's my favorite! The kids all had fun playing again and the adults visiting and relaxing.
Sunday morning, Cal started throwing up in his sleep, and went all day. But Emma got better Sunday, and by Monday we were all back to normal.
Dave took Lucy & Cov to church, while I stayed with the sick ones and cleaned up a bit. Then we gave hugs and left to go back home. It was crazy because the roads from Rock Springs to home were closed due to bad weather conditions and a bunch of accidents. It was a pretty good winter storm, but it looked like it was clearing out. So we took our chances and went through Rock Springs, and just before we got there, they opened the gate to open it going our direction! We felt so grateful, especially as the kids still weren't feeling very well! There were many big accidents we saw too being cleaned up as well and we were also grateful to have been kept safe. We had to laugh as we started spring break off in shorts and flip flops, but it was now snowy and we needed coats and boots! That's Wyoming weather for you! We're so glad spring is here though and will take any nice day we can get! :)











































No comments:
Post a Comment