We threw a root beer themed birthday party, since Dave's favorite is root beer! We invited a couple of his friends from work and their families that we hang out with, the Smiths and the Schaefs. The Schaef's parents were in town, too, so they came along and they were a hoot! Let's just say, I'll never think of the Three Bears the same way again. We decorated a little bit (thanks, Am, for your help!) with Dave's favorite color, orange and white, brown and burlap. Once everyone arrived, we made some introductions and then it was time to eat! For dinner, we ate pulled pork root beer sandwiches and root beer chicken sandwiches, salad, fruit, orange chips, pretzels and peanuts, and root beer baked beans. It was all pretty tasty, if I do say so myself! I thought I'd share the recipe for the pulled pork. Mmmm...you know it's good if you're glad to eat the leftovers every day the rest of the week! He he!
After that we had a great time just visiting forever and enjoyed lots of laughs. (Can you say "peanuts"!? Lol!) We got the game Bubble Talk to play, but we never got around to it, so we played it on Sunday for our game that night. The kids had fun playing and watching Frozen (I swear that movie puts kids into a trance). We had some games planned for them, but they were too busy playing, so our kids enjoyed playing them the next day. We did root beer ring toss and had a little shooting gallery which had a root beer "bottle" and other "cans" on it. The kids also got goody bags with root beer Dum Dums, those gummy colas, and bubbles in it. The adults put their best taste buds forward for the great root beer taste test. We had 5 different root beers (A&W, IBC, Teddys, store brand and Barqs) for everyone to sample in little shot glasses. Everyone got scoring sheets where they could rate the root beers based on taste, punch, aroma, sweetness, fizz and overall score. Well, after we all got sick of drinking root beer, we tabulated the results and Barqs came out on top, followed by a tie with A&W and the store brand, then IBCs, and Teddys last.
Then we sang "Happy birthday" to the birthday boy, and had root beer float cupcakes (interesting, they were fun once but I don't know if we'd make them again) and ice-cream.
It was such a fun night! Dave, happy birthday, love! It's been 10 years since I met you. You were 22 at the time. In those ten years, you've only improved with time. I love you and am so proud to be your wife! :)



No comments:
Post a Comment