Friday, September 9, 2016

Bring them in - Pioneer Day 2016

Pioneer Day was on a Sunday this year, which was pretty neat.  We started the day out at church in the morning.  We had some speaking and lessons on Pioneers, but the kids got to do their own trek in the fields surrounding our little church.  The numbers were dwindling that day in our branch, but the fun wasn't.  They had a map and visited all of the "stops" the early Saints got established and moved again.  They told stories along the way of the pioneers, and got to have a snack of butter they made with biscuits and blueberries, and sang pioneer songs as they trekked around.  They loved it!

As we were driving home from church, we listened to the CD "Bring them In: Celebrating the Spirit of Trek".  We were talking about the Pioneers and the sacrifices they made and the experience the kids had in Primary that day "trekking".  When the song "Go Bring Them In (from the plains)" came on, I totally lost it and couldn't hold back the tears. You can listen to it here.  It was rather ridiculous but I just couldn't stop bawling.  I'm so thankful for my pioneer ancestors and all they did for me and I hope I will make them proud by the life I live.

After church, we had naps/quiet time, then we had our pioneer party!  We put together covered wagons and handcarts from a kit we got a few years back.  They loved doing this and have been filling them and going across the plains with their Little People, Legos and Barbies.  We learned how to play Cat's cradle first.  Dave, a novice, thought he was getting pretty good and was quite excited about it, and Emma was doing really well and playing all week since.  Then we did some good old fashioned wrestling.  The kids love wrestling with Dave, it's one of their favorite activities.  I love hearing all of the giggles and excitement!  We played a few other games in the back yard.  It's amazing how little it takes to make kids happy.  Sometimes in our society, and in our own home, we think we need so much stuff to be content.  But lately, we have been having a great time with very little, as most of our stuff is still in boxes (where are you, closing date? Why do you seem so far away?).  The kids made whole wheat bread with me and a lot they did on their own, and they each got to make their own little loafs.  Some did shapes or cut in different fun things.  They were excited to consume the bread they made, along with the pioneer potato soup and lemonade we had. Cal was sweet and pointed out that this would have been a feast for the pioneers.  We talked about how hard it was and what suffering they endured.  I think they felt bad for what their ancestors went through and felt grateful for what they had.  That night, we told stories about our own pioneer ancestors.  We tried making pulling taffy, but that was a flop and ended up black as could be and hard as a rock as we got busy doing the other things and I forgot to check on it frequently and didn't have my candy thermometer with me.  The kids were a little disappointed, but we can try, try again next year we said.













Daniel Berry Rawson, picture from familysearch.org
I loved reading again some stories by pioneer ancestors I've learned about in the past, and discovering some new pioneer ancestors.  And our kids were just as into the stories of some I was growing up, including the stories of Daniel Berry Rawson and Nancy Boss, who are ancestors on my mom's side, which we read this year.

Honored throughout the ages be their names!  Thank thee, God, from sch as these I came!"
(From Salina Rawon Rose's short life sketch of Daniel Berry Rawson and Nancy Boss)

No comments: