Thursday, July 6, 2023

We ALLLLLL Are Going Back to School

This school year will be a different one! Everyone is going back to school. Emma is a Junior in 11th grade, Cal is in 8th grade, Lucy is in 6th, Covey in 4th and Sydnie will be in Kindergarten all day!  :0 What!? I am also going back to school as I decided to sub and got licensed for it. So I will be at all of the schools subbing this year. It's been going well so far! The kids have been great (most the time) and I love when I hear "Oh it's the nice sub!" when I get to classrooms or when kids give me notes, pictures and candy. Aww! I love the early elementary grades and subbing band best so far. The last few weeks before school getting in session were emotional for me. I am excited for them all to go off and learn more and give them the structure that clearly I can't offer (by the last few weeks of summer seems like everyones dragging their feet and not wanting to do anything and it gets frustrating), but doing the kid raising thing has been my life for the last 16 years. I've always had someone home to care for so it will be strange and quiet to not have that be what I do anymore. I am grateful for the time I've had to teach and love them at home with me, and feel like I fail most days, but it has been a privilege and blessing to learn from and with them. I am thankful Dave has been steadfast in letting me fulfill my wish to stay home with them. Though I've had part time jobs, I've always been able to put them first. So there are so many mixed feelings, but we are going to look forward with faith in the future!  I know the kids are going to do amazing things! I love them all so much. Every time they walk out the door, it feels like my heart goes with them. And when they return in the afternoon, or after practice, or come home from work, my heart is complete again. 

Their first day, everyone woke up pretty easy. They were all excited to wear their new duds and picked out some fun ones. Cal wanted to wear all black or black with navy, so I made him change a few times, then gave up. Haha. Even Emma was on time for seminary, woohoo! We had English scones for breakfast, yum! We ate and read our picture story and then took some pictures and sent them on their way. Sydnie wanted Daddy to take her for her first day. So he dropped the kids off then took her. We made some cute ruler planters for our teachers, and they loved them. Sydnie was super excited about her class and her teacher. Everyone else was just meh about school. But after coming home, they ended up having a great day! It seems like we've got lots of great teachers and classmates and activities going on. 

While they were gone, I cried a few tears and said lots of prayers. But I didn't have too much time to be sad. Always plenty to do. I finished up my scriptures, exercised, and cleaned pretty much all day. It's hard to keep up during the summer. I called Amy & Mom to talk to them so that was good. Then at lunch, I went out with four other mamas who were sending all theirs off too. That was super fun and lifted my spirits. I had a couple of friends text me to check in on me. 

After I picked them up, they eagerly told me about their day and we had to take a picture of everyone. Lucy asked if I missed them. Of course I did! Covey said he felt bad for me because he thought I was probably lonely. So sweet!  I miss them but know they are doing good things and in good hands. We had after school snacks, used pull n' peel licorice to make a picture or write something about how they were feeling about school. We played outside, went to practices, got a few more school supplies, hung out and made spaghetti for dinner and told Dad about how the first day went. 

Can't believe Emma is a junior, Cal is in 8th, Lucy's a 6th grader, Cov is in 4th and Sydnie started kindergarten! It was a good day but also kind of hard too. I have been [mostly] home with one or more littles for 16 years so this is definitely a new phase. But I am glad for all the ways we have been blessed. This scripture I studied in Psalms recently has been on my mind and helped me hold onto joy. "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it." (Psalms 118:24). A few years ago when I was feeling sad about my kids not being so little anymore, I got the impression while praying to enjoy every age and stage. I am trying to do that and rejoice with and in my children no matter what is going on. Even if I'm not a young mother and I have some teenage "fun" going on, I can rejoice and be glad every day. I love these 5 and am proud of who they are and who they are becoming!




















No comments: