Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Trek on! Stoddard Family Reunion

This year, I was in charge of our family reunion. We decided on a pioneer theme. We were going to have it out here but then when more of the activities were closer to Amy's, she just suggested we all stay there. So we went that way for a rootin' tootin' time!  We weren't sure if everyone would be there, as Grandma and Grandpa got Covid the week before, but they ended up coming as they were out of quarantine and into mask mode and we stayed outside mostly and luckily, no one else got sick. The first day, we had lunch and then went out to Fort Bridger. The kids enjoyed picking some candy out at the gift shop, walking around and seeing the displays, and ax throwing best. That night, we had a pioneer dinner. We had lots of delicious vittles, including chicken, beans and dogs, pioneer bread, corn on the cob, cheesy potatoes, and for dessert we had apple cobbler with homemade ice cream, which we had a pie eating contest that was fun. We went on a pioneer trek for a bit. Not far with all the littles, but we got the feel pushing and pulling (or riding in) the handcart. Then we took some family pictures. We made pioneer bonnets and skirts and got some hats and hankerchiefs for the boys. After that, we had a fire and readers theatre and told stories about our pioneer ancestors. I told the story of Mary Fielding Garner, my brother Mark did Horace Strong Rawson and Mom did Elizabeth Coffin Rawson. Here's what I came up with:

My name is Mary Field Garner. I was born on February 1, 1836 in Stanley Hill, Herefordshire, England with a bunch of curly red hair. The missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints came to teach my family. We readily accepted, having had the witness of the Spirit. I emigrated as an 8-year-old girl with my family over the ocean on a seven week journey by ship with one of the first companies from England to join the Saints in Nauvoo, IL. The days in Nauvoo were joyous ones but also filled with hardship. My father died, leaving my mother the task of raising six of us children. We were so poor, we had to ration our food and split a pint of cornmeal for each day. I felt what it feels like to be so hungry it hurt, we would often cry for want of food and our mother would cry along with us unable to provide. "But the Saints were kind to us so we did not complain. We were thankful to be in Nauvoo." the City Beautiful. 


People nicknamed me the "last leaf" because I was the last known person to have actually met the Prophet Joseph Smith, and I met each succeeding Prophet of the Church during my lifetime. Shortly after we arrived in Nauvoo, the Prophet Joseph shook my hand and told me he was glad I was a member of the Lord's Church. I had the opportunity to hear him teach, to see him live the Gospel he taught. He taught it boldly but in a plain way we could all understand. He treated all with respect. I remember seeing the Indians going in to the Mansion house to learn about the Gospel by Joseph's invitation. "I want to bear my testimony to the world of the truthfulness of the Gospel as revealed by the prophet Joseph Smith."  Because of Him, we know our Savior Jesus Christ better. We have the Book of Mormon which I testify is true. After the Prophet Joseph was martyred, I remember being so sad. My mother lifted me up so I could see the coffins the Prophet and his brother Hyrum were in. We went to the meeting as a family to see who would be the new leader to bring us out of this persecution we were facing. As we sat listening to our Church leaders, my baby sister dropped a tin cup she was playing with and I reached down to get it. "As I bent over, I heard what seemed to me to be the voice of the martyred Prophet. As I quickly raised my eyes, I seemed to see the face and form of our departed leader, and I knew as did the others, that Brigham Young was the man who should lead us."  And lead us he did. About a year after the first company went west, it was our family's turn. We crossed the plains to reach our promised land but it wasn't easy. We had to walk because we couldn't afford a wagon. At the Missouri River, and as we did, there were mobs who stole things and were unkind to the Saints. They took many weapons from the Saints, but my mother knew we needed food so she hid three guns in a feather bed and they never found it so we were able to hunt. We ran out of provisions quickly. I was afraid of the dark and the candles didn't last long. I was scared and prayed a lot. Again, hunger was something I felt on this journey. One morning, Heavenly Father sent a bunch of quail for us to eat. We were so thankful to fill our bellies and receive more nourishment to keep going. We stopped at Council Bluffs Iowa and stayed there for a few years to grow wheat and vegetables for the Saints. Finally, two years later, as a teenager, we were able to cross the plains with our own ox and wagon. We took turns yoking the oxen and driving the team. They worried as Indians came by, but they were friendly and shared their food and never had any problems. One of the Indian men, a chief came wanting to marry me because of my long, curly red hair and offered my mother many horses for me but mother of course turned him down. Those Indians followed our wagon for a few days and we were worried they would try to take me so my family hid me between barrels and a feather bed and they came back looking in every wagon for me and I was hot and stuffy but protected. When we reached Emigration Canyon in Salt Lake City, I was so excited and relieved. It was dark and we camped for the last night on the trail. When we woke up in the morning, everything was white and covered with snow. The Saints, who now numbered around two thousand in the valley, brought us warm bread, potatoes, meat and gravy to eat. It was one of the tastiest things I'd ever eaten in my life and I was so appreciative. I was able to see the site where the new temple would be built, which filled me with joy, especially as I'd seen our Nauvoo temple being burned. We were happy for our new life in the valley.

We settled up north in Slaterville. It was hard work and we built a small cabin and began to grow crops and raise animals. This filled us with pride, because it was our first home in America. I felt so grown up helping in all the household responsibilities. That same Indian chief one day knocked on our front door and had located me, still wanting to marry me. He gave my mother a greater offer for my hand in marriage. He stayed by the home from three days, not wanting to give in and promising that she would be the Queen of the tribe. I refused and told him I would never go with him and he must leave and he finally left and we never saw him again.

In 1856, I married my sweetheart William Garner in Slaterville, Utah.  He is a good man. I was the mother to at least 7 sons and 4 daughters. We raised our family mostly west of Ogden. We worked hard and served and loved each other. Times were wonderful, times were hard. I cherish my family and the Gospel above all. At around 105, I had outlived all but four of my children and had about 600 living descents. "I am proud to call them all mine". 

I have always tried to live the Gospel, teach it and minister to others. I have been truly blessed. 
So many have wondered what my secret to a long life is. "My advice to live a long life is to live a good clean life and to eat good, plain foods;... keep the word of wisdom and get plenty of sleep." I passed away at the age of 107  on July 20, 1943, and am very happy and engaged on the other side helping to gather Israel home.


Then I shared some words about how we can be pioneers in our day. I love our pioneer ancestors and am so thankful for their example of sacrifice and love! I hope the younger generation felt that and will keep their faith strong, work hard and love each other like they did. 












































































































































































Friday was boating day. We went over to Flaming Gorge and boated and beached the day away. It was beautiful and the kids and adults all had the best time!  It is so good to be boating again, I missed it for all the years we didn't have a boat. It's the best summer activity! That night, it was modgepodge night for dinner and everyone stopped at different restaraunts and got whatever they wanted. The kids made up a hilarious play about Waldo and put that on for us; they have so much fun together. Then there was a big cousin sleepover.


Saturday, it was the Pioneer Day parade up first. Kids got too much candy and we cheered loud for everyone. We went to the park next for their lunch the Church puts on. Kolby, Dave, Grandpa Scott and some of the kids went to go help set it up and take down. It was yummy and we were all stuffed!  There were bouncy houses for the kids and some played on the playground. Back at the house, we tied quilts Grandma Di put together for us to donate. Ruby gets the prize for doing the most on that one. We played some pioneer games like sack hop races and three legged races. Next it was a pioneer scavengar hunt with clues and the treasure at the end of some jacks and salt water taffy. Then we did a few crafts like corn husk dolls and tin lanterns. We had a movie in the barn and watched Legacy and ate popcorn. It doesn't matter how many time us adults have seen it, we always need the tissues and it makes us cry. We ate a lasagna dinner and then headed to the rodeo. It was an awesome rodeo! Some of the kids felt bad for the animals, they loved doing the chicken, bunny and goat chases inbetween events and the snow cones were tasty too. But everyone got into the excitement of it. We headed back and did fireworks next. I think Kanon loved them best of all. We just got some smaller ones, but it was a hit. 

































































































































Sunday was the actual Pioneer Day holiday. We ate Mormon muffins, chocolate chip muffins and sausages and then went to Church. The theme was about the pioneers and it was a great way to end our reunion! We said our goodbyes and everyone took off. Our pioneers inspire me so much. They strenghten me when I feel I'm moving through unchartered territory. I feel them sometimes encouraging me to go on, to have faith. We owe so much to them. I am grateful for my family that lived long ago and my family alive today, for our traditions and the love that we have for each other.

No comments: