I'm not sure if Emma and the gang were mad that they can't have phones until they are 16, or if Dave and I have been spending more than our share on our own phones lately, but one Sunday evening as Dave and I were talking downstairs, the kids were upstairs "crafting". But really, they made all these signs and went on a crusade against phones, and I've got to give it to them - they are pretty creative! We've been talking a lot about phones lately and how so many kids have them and don't really need them (though I'm sure have actual reasons to need them, like medical issues or if both parents work, etc.) and kids and adults are making bad choices with their phones and loosing personal connections with each other because of them. Emma has been begging lately to get a phone, as many of her friends do, but I think she's realized it's a lost cause. Not until they can help pay for it, can drive and date will they get their own phone around here. Well, we came upstairs to this and it made us giggle, but also made us think. Do we spend unnecessary time on our phones? Do we make personal connections more of a priority? Do we look at our phones more than our own kids? I try to be careful and only do social media every couple of days for a bit after the kids are in bed, but maybe I text too much during the day in front of them? It made us re-evaluate our phone usage for sure. So thanks, kids, for the wake up call!








No comments:
Post a Comment