Monday, July 6, 2015

Christ is what we need

I was saddened to hear that Elder L. Tom Perry, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints passed away recently.  I loved his messages of family, patriotism, faith.  He had a booming voice with which he bore a powerful testimony, always smiling and optimistic and was such a sweet man.  I wasn't able to watch his funeral but read a lot of it later.
Pic found at nothingwavering.org

Here are some of my favorite things those close to him shared:

Elder Oaks visited Elder Perry a few days before passing and he remembered Elder Perry saying "I just worry about what is going on in the world!  How did we get mixed up in this mess?...Worldwide morals are declining.  At the same time, we have populations all over the world that are suffering.  We have lost our good, strong Christian beliefs - it is just a tough time."  Then Elder Oaks said, "As was typical of Elder Perry, he did not linger on the negative."  He smiled as he recalled these words from a dying apostle: "We have a lot of great talented help in the Church!  These young kids who come along - I just love them.  They're strong!"

Elder Ballard shared some advice Elder Perry wanted the Church members to hear.  "I wish I could get every member of the CHurch to go and partake of the sacrament, and whn they took the bread, they'd ask themselves, 'Who am I?  What am I doing?  How am I living?  Where am I going?  What should I be accomplishing?' as they renew teir covenants with the Lord.  The inute they'd pick up the bread, something would happen."

Elder Perry shared his testimony with his brethren, the apostles within a few days of his passing.  He said "Jesus is the Christ, the Savior of the world.  Everything depends on Him.  We'd better find a way to stay close to him, and if we can't, there's not much hope.  [He] is what we need."

These words keep coming to my mind lately and I've been pondering them a lot lately.  I'm grateful to be serving in the Primary right now - these young kids are strong, and I love them too and am humbled to be working with them and teaching them!  They are teaching me!  As I've been looking through the ward directory a lot lately (mostly to find substitute teachers), it makes me sad to think of all of those who are missing out on the Sacrament each week.  What a blessing and opportunity!  I hope I can take it more seriously!  And I hope I can get some of my brothers and sisters who are not fully taking part in living the gospel there so they can.  We live in some turbulent times - it is the Savior we need to stay by to be safe and happy!  He is the only way!  What great counsel and advice from such a great man!
"Abide with Me" by Simon Dewey

No comments: