Sunday, August 19, 2012

Afternoon Activities :)

This year, we've had a great time being in Utah to visit family while Daddy is doing his internship at the U!  While he's busy at work, we're busy at Grandma's house doing chores, practicing, workbooks, reading, and then...we play!  Every afternoon this summer, I've introduced an afternoon activity to do.  We've had a blast doing all kinds of things!  Here are a few of our favorites...

A rocketship out of carboard boxes and other recycled stuff.  The kids had fun blasting off in this all summer!


Rock candy suckers.  Taught the kids patience - they had to wait about 8 days until they were ready to eat!

Exploring the closets at Grandma Di's house - they found some sweet things like our old shell collections, and these sweet hats!



 We made some crafts, like these Fourth of July twirlers!

 We made our ABC's with string licorice.  The kids enjoyed this tasty, yet educational activity.  Cal is even getting a lot of his letters down now!



We did sidewalk chalk paper dolls one day.  The kids had fun picking out their clothes and accessories, I traced them and they filled in the rest!  I thought these turned out really cute and the kids did a good job!




Water balloon fight!  We filled up a bunch of water balloons, went up to the park and went to town getting each other wet!


We did sweetened condensed milk finger paintings one day.  All we did was mixed sweetened condensed milk and food coloring.  It worked great as finger paint and had a unique finish!  They also didn't mind that they could lick their fingers with this finger paint!







By far, the best afternoon activity was the day we had "Operation Cool Down", as we called it!  We filled up a cooler with Otter Pops (thanks, Grandma Sue), went down to the park on an afternoon when it was 103 degrees, and handed them out to the hot park-goers!  I was shocked by how many people where there!  They were surprised we would do that.  Luckily, I thought to pack some oranges, too, because we ran into a boy who was diabetic, so we gave him an orange.   A family, who had just gone to some farmers market gave us some farm-fresh eggs to thank us for our kindness.  It was such a small thing we did, but it made those who we gave popsicles to so happy.  That's one thing I want to instill in my kids that my parents taught me was important - service.  "When we're helping we're happy..."  :)  I hope they learn that serving is good, even if it is hard sometimes and we always go away better after serving.  Here are our kids after giving out a cooler full of popsicles.  As hot as it was, they didn't want to leave the sweltering park. I had to bribe them with Slurpees, which worked!

The day of the opening ceremonies for the summer olympics in London, we had our own opening ceremonies, by making torches, and then doing a torch relay.  Then we did some events with things we had around the house like hurdles, fencing, the 40-yard-dash, javelin and more.  The kids really got into it and got pretty competitive with each other.  Even Lucy had fun tagging along!

We also flew kites, had a glow stick bath, did shadow puppets, bubbles, and many other things I can't remember, but hopefully the kids will remember some of the fun things we did!

No comments: