Sunday, March 4, 2012

Dr. Suess' Birthday

If there's anything we love in our family, it's reading books together.  If there's anything we love more than reading books in our family, it's reading Dr. Suess books together!  Emma has always loved Dr. Suess and could quote "Green Eggs and Ham" from the time she could barely talk.  Every year since Emma's been two, we've done a little something to celebrate Dr. Suess's birthday.  Some years we go to the library for Dr. Suess parties, we read our favorite Suess books together, or make snacks to commemorate his birthday.  It has become "Read Across America Day". 

This year, I made Cat in the Hat Biscuits for breakfast.  The top biscuits I put in a mini muffin pan and they turned out a little too dark, but you get the idea.  We used red raspberry jam inbetween to give it the red and white Cat in the Hat look. 


Emma had a celebration at her school and did a readathon.  So they got to wear their jammies to school.  We also did her hair like Cindy Lou Hoo from "The Grinch" (the movie version though, her hair isn't that crazy in the book.).  We called her Emma Lou Hoo!  We used the bottom part of a spray bottle on the inside of her hair to keep it up and it stayed in pretty well.  She had P.E. that day, so took it out before she went to P.E.  Her classmates and teacher all thought it was pretty cool. 

 Little Lucy...look who's standing up by herself!

For after school snack, we made edible Oobleck from the book "Bartholomew".  It was just cream cheese and marshmallow cream mixed with green food coloring.  We seved it up with some tart apples, tasty!


Of course, for dinner, we had to have green eggs and ham and pink ink!  I forgot to dye the ham green this year, but that's okay.   

After dinner, we read some of our favorite Dr. Suess books.  Emma's learning how to read now and Dr. Suess books are perfect reads for her level!  Here they are reading "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish". 

Then we watched "Pontoffel Pock, Where are You?"  If you haven't seen it, look it up on YouTube and you're in for a treat.  It's fantastic!  Or at least, I think so, but maybe that's just because I grew up with it.  You know how that is.  "Just a pull on the pull-em and a push on the push-em and the pickles go into the jar!"

I love Dr. Suess and what he's done for literacy.  Last year, I read his biography, which was very interesting.  I thought I'd share some of my favorite Suess-isms to finish off this post. 

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.”

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”

"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere."

“I meant what I said and I said what I meant.  An elephant's faithful 100%.”

No comments: