The kids have been begging for a while to get a pet. Emma has always wanted a dog or a cat, but I told her she can just enjoy Grandma's cats and now the neighbor's cats. That still didn't do it for her. So a while back, we purchased our first family pet, a pretty blue Beta fish the kids named Daisy. The kids loved Daisy. "She" (although it was really a male, but Emma was certain it was a female) was a good fish. She swam, she ate, the kids loved watching her and showing her off to their friends. She did what a fish does. But just two weeks after we bought Daisy fish, she started swimming in funny directions. Dave and I knew what was coming but the kids had no idea. So when she died on a Sunday, we weren't sure if we should hide her up and wait to run to the pet store on Monday to get a replacement that looked like Daisy, or if we should tell the kids the news and turn it be a lesson on the Plan of Salvation. We decided on the second option, and thought they would be devastated. Instead, Emma & Cal laughed. Yes, they laughed. So I wasn't sure how to take that, if they are morbid children and I should be worried or if they can just use laugher to lighten things and help in hard situations!? We talked with them about how all people, including animals and bugs and all creatures, go back to our Heavenly Father's presence when they die. Other than that lesson, the kids learned another valuable lesson. Never buy pets from Walmart. Who knows how well they take care of them there and how long they've been on the shelf. After our little learning moment, we flushed dear Daisy down the toilet, which they thought was even more amusing, they giggled and laughed. He he, oh dear! I think we might take a break from pets, for a while. In the mean time, the older kids do enjoy the neighbor's cats White Socks and Sassy, and Lucy gets excited every time she sees the fish bowl we had and sqeals in delight anytime she sees it just like she did when Daisy was in it.
R.I.P. Daisy fish!
No comments:
Post a Comment