Happy Pioneer Day! It’s been so much fun celebrating! On Friday, we went to the Handcart Days parade in Bountiful, which we do every year! I love it, it’s by far my favorite parade of the year as well! We went with the entire Ryerse family. It’s so cute to watch the cousins wave their flags and go after the candy together. And the babies were held by the daddy’s most of the time. At the Handcart Days Parade!
Waving old glory...
Waving old glory...
After that, we ate some dinner and then went to the Handcart Days fireworks. We sit up above the temple and it’s a pretty good view. On our way there, we passed the temple. Emma said, “Oh, cute! I love the Bountiful temple! It’s the biggest and best place in the world!” Then her and Tayla and Cal broke out singing an impromptu rendition of “I Love to See the Temple”. It made me so happy to hear that. When we got there, the kids had a fun time rolling down the hill and playing with fireworks. This year, the fireworks were over 30 minutes long! But, we left a couple of minutes before it finished, because the sprinklers turned on and got us wet…again! (: We sat in a different location this year, but it happened again this year!
Cal chewed on a glowstick and it broke and got all over him, he was glowing!
Cal chewed on a glowstick and it broke and got all over him, he was glowing!
Rolling down the hill waiting for the fireworks to start. I love Cal in this shot, ha! 
Cal and mommy having fun at the fireworks. Cal was getting pretty sleepy, but stayed awake throughout it all.
Finally, we ended off the night with our own firework show at Grandma and Grandpa’s house. Dave and Randy, of course, as the pyroiarcs. They’re always the ones to light up the sky for us. We had some good ones, and even got some of the new legal aerial fireworks this year. The kids loved the show, as well as the adults!
Stacy, Grandma and Emma watch the fireworks. We have the best family!
Finally, we ended off the night with our own firework show at Grandma and Grandpa’s house. Dave and Randy, of course, as the pyroiarcs. They’re always the ones to light up the sky for us. We had some good ones, and even got some of the new legal aerial fireworks this year. The kids loved the show, as well as the adults!
Can't get enough of the fireworks!
On Saturday, we went up to Lyman, WY to see my sister Amy and her husband Kolby in the Lyman Ranch Rodeo. Neither have been in a rodeo before, and now that they have their own horse, Super, they decided to do the Hyde Race in Kolby’s hometown this year. Oh, the things we do for love! Amy used to be a total girly girl, and now, thanks to Kolby, she’s a hunting, fishing, riding, camping, and now rodeo girl! It’s so much fun to see her in action! She was dressed in pink, her favorite color, and she put the rodeo queens to shame! (: They did the Hyde Race with Kolb’s brother Drew. Kolby’s whole family was there as well, so it was fun to sit by them and visit with them, they’re great people. I loved the small-town atmosphere. I felt like a cowboy gringo though. I didn’t have my tight wrangler jeans on, a cowboy hat or a belt buckle! In fact, one guy, as I was going back to the stands after throwing a dirty diaper away made the comment, “I like your glasses. You look very dignified.” What? Who says that? It was a lot of fun, and there were great events that aren’t at the big city rodeos that we’ve gone to. The kids even got in on it and did the bunny catch! They had what seemed like a million kids though and only six bunnies, so neither of them caught one, but had fun running through the arena trying to get one. They did get some licorice just for trying, which they had fun with. Dave grows a beard/goatee/some kind of facial hair out every year around Pioneer Day, “in the spirit of Brother Brigham”, as he always says. This year, it was a full-on beard, which drove him crazy, but then Friday afternoon, he cut it differently to fit in at the rodeo. I thought it was hilarious! He’s so funny! The kids got a kick out of it as well. Amy and Kolby did well though for their first time at the rodeo! There were probably about 6 others who entered the Hyde Race, including the Elders! They didn’t win, but we’re so proud of them for doing it! They are awesome!
On Saturday, we went up to Lyman, WY to see my sister Amy and her husband Kolby in the Lyman Ranch Rodeo. Neither have been in a rodeo before, and now that they have their own horse, Super, they decided to do the Hyde Race in Kolby’s hometown this year. Oh, the things we do for love! Amy used to be a total girly girl, and now, thanks to Kolby, she’s a hunting, fishing, riding, camping, and now rodeo girl! It’s so much fun to see her in action! She was dressed in pink, her favorite color, and she put the rodeo queens to shame! (: They did the Hyde Race with Kolb’s brother Drew. Kolby’s whole family was there as well, so it was fun to sit by them and visit with them, they’re great people. I loved the small-town atmosphere. I felt like a cowboy gringo though. I didn’t have my tight wrangler jeans on, a cowboy hat or a belt buckle! In fact, one guy, as I was going back to the stands after throwing a dirty diaper away made the comment, “I like your glasses. You look very dignified.” What? Who says that? It was a lot of fun, and there were great events that aren’t at the big city rodeos that we’ve gone to. The kids even got in on it and did the bunny catch! They had what seemed like a million kids though and only six bunnies, so neither of them caught one, but had fun running through the arena trying to get one. They did get some licorice just for trying, which they had fun with. Dave grows a beard/goatee/some kind of facial hair out every year around Pioneer Day, “in the spirit of Brother Brigham”, as he always says. This year, it was a full-on beard, which drove him crazy, but then Friday afternoon, he cut it differently to fit in at the rodeo. I thought it was hilarious! He’s so funny! The kids got a kick out of it as well. Amy and Kolby did well though for their first time at the rodeo! There were probably about 6 others who entered the Hyde Race, including the Elders! They didn’t win, but we’re so proud of them for doing it! They are awesome!
Cal wasn't too sure about all of the "horsie poop" all over. He kept pointing to it and saying "Ewwww! Gross!"
Uncle Kolby helped Emma ride on Super, she loves riding horses!
Contestant 184 and 182...they thought it was cool because Emma is 4 and Cal is 2, and their ages were their numbers. Ready to catch some bunnies!
This is a picture Cal took of Kolby, right before he left to go compete. Kolb & Am got nervous the few days before the rodeo, they weren't sure how Super would do. But they were fantastic!
The kids had a fun time decorating the posters! If you can't read them, the one says "Yeehaw Kolby!" and the other one says "Go Cowgirl Amy!"
Future cowgirl!
After the Rodeo, good job, guys!
I’m grateful for my pioneer heritage! What great faith and courage they had! When I was young, I always wished I could’ve been a pioneer. I dreamed about going back to that era. I love the culture and I love their stories. I love them. I’m so happy we have a day to revere our “blessed, honored, pioneers”! I hope I can be like them and show the same determination as they did, be unshakable in their testimonies as they were! As Elder Tanner said, we need pioneers today. I can be a pioneer in my own way, though I didn't cross the plains!
I’m also glad we’ve been able to spend so much time with our families lately, because in just a few weeks, we’ll be up in Washington! I will miss everyone so much! We have the best family! I love them all dearly!
Cal loves this cowgirl!
On Sunday, it was pretty much a regular day, but I enjoyed having Pioneer Day on the Sabbath, because it was easier to think about the reason we celebrate the 24th of July. I helped the kids make some covered wagons and we played the stick-pull game as a family. That was fun!
Monday night, we went to my Mom & Dad’s house, and we had a pioneer dinner with my parents, Marko, and Grammie. We had homemade brown bread with homemade butter, Mormon pioneer stew, corn on the cob, pioneer salad, and for dessert, boiled raisin cake and homemade vanilla ice-cream. Yum! I have a feeling the pioneers only ate like this on the best of occasions. My mom did have some hard tack as well, which is more like what they ate on a regular basis. My mom had some pioneer handkerchief dolls, a whirly gig, and we played some other fun pioneer games.
On Sunday, it was pretty much a regular day, but I enjoyed having Pioneer Day on the Sabbath, because it was easier to think about the reason we celebrate the 24th of July. I helped the kids make some covered wagons and we played the stick-pull game as a family. That was fun!
Elder N. Eldon Tanner said –
“Pioneers are still needed. A pioneer is described as one who goes before, preparing the way for others. He is a leader, first in his field in discovery and invention. He will be followed by settlers and developers who expand and exploit his discoveries. Anyone seeking to become a pioneer will take care to fill his mind with what is known about the route he plans to take. Some of the qualities needed in pioneering are interest, intelligence, imagination, and determination. A pioneer must investigate, plan, experiment, and work.
“As we pioneer into any endeavor, we have the benefit of those who have pioneered before us. We have the gospel plan to follow, which needs no experimentation, but we must plan and work to accomplish the goal we seek—eternal life.
“We express gratitude to our Father in heaven for the gospel, which shows us the way. We are grateful to all who were prepared and came forth to accomplish his purposes and establish his truths, which are the same yesterday, today, and forever.”
On Monday, the kids slept in, and then we watched some of the Days of 47 Parade on TV. Then we went to Dee’s for breakfast, to get the kids a new bunk bed, and went riding on the 4-wheeler. We’re going to sell it here, so it was probably one of the last rides we’ll go on with that four-wheeler.
“Pioneers are still needed. A pioneer is described as one who goes before, preparing the way for others. He is a leader, first in his field in discovery and invention. He will be followed by settlers and developers who expand and exploit his discoveries. Anyone seeking to become a pioneer will take care to fill his mind with what is known about the route he plans to take. Some of the qualities needed in pioneering are interest, intelligence, imagination, and determination. A pioneer must investigate, plan, experiment, and work.
“As we pioneer into any endeavor, we have the benefit of those who have pioneered before us. We have the gospel plan to follow, which needs no experimentation, but we must plan and work to accomplish the goal we seek—eternal life.
“We express gratitude to our Father in heaven for the gospel, which shows us the way. We are grateful to all who were prepared and came forth to accomplish his purposes and establish his truths, which are the same yesterday, today, and forever.”
On Monday, the kids slept in, and then we watched some of the Days of 47 Parade on TV. Then we went to Dee’s for breakfast, to get the kids a new bunk bed, and went riding on the 4-wheeler. We’re going to sell it here, so it was probably one of the last rides we’ll go on with that four-wheeler.
The kids riding with Daddy...they love it! They kept saying, "Daddy, do some tricks", "faster!", "Do a flip" and more. Giggles and excited screams were all around!
Monday night, we went to my Mom & Dad’s house, and we had a pioneer dinner with my parents, Marko, and Grammie. We had homemade brown bread with homemade butter, Mormon pioneer stew, corn on the cob, pioneer salad, and for dessert, boiled raisin cake and homemade vanilla ice-cream. Yum! I have a feeling the pioneers only ate like this on the best of occasions. My mom did have some hard tack as well, which is more like what they ate on a regular basis. My mom had some pioneer handkerchief dolls, a whirly gig, and we played some other fun pioneer games.
Emma plays with the pioneer doll.
I’m grateful for my pioneer heritage! What great faith and courage they had! When I was young, I always wished I could’ve been a pioneer. I dreamed about going back to that era. I love the culture and I love their stories. I love them. I’m so happy we have a day to revere our “blessed, honored, pioneers”! I hope I can be like them and show the same determination as they did, be unshakable in their testimonies as they were! As Elder Tanner said, we need pioneers today. I can be a pioneer in my own way, though I didn't cross the plains!
I’m also glad we’ve been able to spend so much time with our families lately, because in just a few weeks, we’ll be up in Washington! I will miss everyone so much! We have the best family! I love them all dearly!
1 comment:
Aww, cute pictures! Will you send these to me? I love reading your blog, when you move you'll have to keep it up to date often because I'm going to miss you like crazy! Love you guys, thanks for being such a great support to me! You have the cutest kids ever!
Post a Comment