Saturday, August 12, 2017

Last pregnancy

I've been so blessed to have had a pretty great pregnancy!  Even the week and a half appointment before the baby came, my OBGYN asked how I was feeling and I responded with "great!"  She asked if I was just being polite or if I was serious.  I was really serious!  I really have slept well, not swelled at all again, felt well and not had very many bumps in the road.
The first couple of months were pretty nauseous ones, but I always have to remind myself that's a good sign of a healthy baby.  In June, when we were working on our backyard, I think I overdid it one day and pulled my sciatic nerve or tweaked something in my back.  It was hard to walk, sleep, move, do anything for about 3 weeks.  It was not fun!  It was difficult to function and get around.  Cov kindly told me "Mom, you looks like the Penguin from Batman!" because of the way I waddled around those few weeks.  But besides that, it's been great!
The baby was measuring smaller, but again, the OB hasn't been worried, because we've had some smaller babies and they've all been healthy.  Seriously. So. Blessed!
We've been seeing Dr. Donna Smith at the hospital in Glasgow, which is about a 90 minute drive.  She has been great; very down to earth and good to work with.  She's also not been making me come in as much as she normally makes patients come in, which is nice.  Usually our appointments are 15 minutes or so and she said to come in anytime I feel I need a check, but we've been spacing them out extra weeks.  She always says "you're too easy!" or "you are the picture of health."  "What do you want to talk about?"  "Can I buy you a sandwich today?" (jokingly since I haven't been putting on much weight again ). Dave also set up with her to start coming to our town once a month starting this fall!  Won't help me out much (maybe except for a postpartum visit) but it will help lots of ladies out up here.  Her husband is a general surgeon there who comes here once a month, so she's going to follow suit which is great!
Many were shocked that I was due when I was just because to them, I didn't seem like I was that far along.  But I promise, I feel ready!  I've been practicing and preparing myself for another natural labor.  A couple times, I felt some anxiety over it because of the distance, but know it will work out somehow.
It's bitter sweet to be experiencing the miracle of birth for the last time.  I love feeling the baby rolling and hiccuping and moving around.  It's amazing how the whole process works!  Though it can be hard sometimes and some days you feel terrible, being pregnant is something I'll always cherish as an amazing experience I was able to take part in.

No comments: