Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Band-aids for Jesus

It was another Sunday, with another couple of restless kids.  Church during nap time can be tricky.  I was sitting out in the foyer with Lucy and Cov, as they were being too noisy in the chapel during the Sacrament.  We were sitting on an arm chair, looking at the picture of Jesus Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane.  I was re-telling Lucy (and Cov, too) the story of the Atonement and reminded her that we take the Sacrament each week to remember Jesus and what he's done for us and how we can be more like Him.

I told her how was in so much pain, he bled all over his body, how he felt everything we feel and experienced all we have or will go through.  Lucy looked solemn in thought.  "I would give Jesus lots of band-aids," she said.  How sweet is that?  But her comment really got me thinking.  I think of how many times we feel sad or sorry for what the Savior went through, but then, what do we do about it?  He said "If ye love me, keep my commandments." (John 14:15)  Do we help give him "band-aids" for his wounds by helping those around us?  Do we give him "band-aids" as we choose a best choice instead of a good or better?  Do we give him a "band-aid" when we shun temptation?  Do we give him a "band-aid" when we forgive and forget?  As I got thinking, there are lots of ways to help the Savior.    

pcquickutzclub.blogspot.com
                                   
 I love the song "This is The Christ", lyrics by James E. Faust.  Here's the second verse and chorus.

I read His words, the words He prayed
While bearing sorrow in Gethsemane.
I feel His love, the price He paid.
How many drops of blood were spilled for me?
With Saints of old in joyful cry
I too can testify:
This is the Christ.
This is the Christ, the holy Son of God,
Our Savior, Lord, Redeemer of mankind.
This is the Christ, the Healer of our souls,
Who ransomed us with love divine.

"How many drops of blood were spilled for me?"  I am thankful for His marvelous gift of love.  I'm thankful I've been taught so hopefully the number of drops He spilled for me were less than what it would've been. I'm thankful for repentance that I can get back on track and He will always forgive me.  I hope and pray I can give Jesus many band-aids to help ease some of the pain He felt in the Garden.

2 comments:

bjcrosbyfamily said...

what a beautiful thought. Out of the mouths of babes...and their insightful mothers. :) Thank you for sharing. I will be pondering this often.

Kolby and Amy said...

This is too precious, I love these thoughts-thanks for sharing...you are amazing Mellie!