Monday, June 2, 2014

Memorial Day Weekend

We were so lucky to have Grandma Di & Grandpa Scott come up for Memorial Day weekend!  They came up Saturday, and we had lots of fun!

First, we went to the pool.  My parents were impressed how nice and big the pool was considering it's free for the public (small town perks!).  Then we came home for a while, got showered and played for a while, had dinner, and then went to play at the park and play frisbee golf.  We couldn't have asked for better weather this weekend!  It was perfect, and little wind, if there was some, it was a light breeze.  My mom said "I think this is the best weather I've experienced in Wyoming!"  Then, we went home and ate ice-cream and put the kids to bed.  My mom and I stayed up and watched some TV, which doesn't happen very often.  The only time I really sit down to watch TV is for our family movie night on Friday.  So that was fun.  And we chatted about cooking and kids and some other things that peaked our interest.






Sunday, we got up and went to church.  It was our first time in our new ward since the boundaries changed, we are now in the Ferris Mountain Ward.  It was nice and I think we will like it, but we do miss our friends in the other ward.  It's a young ward, which is nice.  And just when I thought I'd get a break for a while, I was already asked to be a sub in Primary for the following week and to play the piano at a fireside this next Sunday.  And I got a call before we even went to church or our names were in the ward directory last week to meet with the Bishop for a new calling.  After church, we came home, had lunch, and then played games, went on a walk, watched Veggie Tales, and read in the afternoon.  We then ate dinner and went to the local cemetery here to check things out.  It was a nice cemetery.  Whenever we live somewhere not near family, we like to go explore other cemeteries.  Even though I wasn't able to visit any family this year, I still feel love and gratitude for those who have gone before and helped to show the way for me to go.  I'm so blessed with a heritage of a faithful family! I also feel a debt of gratitude for those who have given their lives for their country when I see the American Flags on near some of the grave markers.  THANK YOU to service men and women and their families everywhere!  The kid's favorite part was this big rock platform they have with the flag on top.  They started playing King of the Mountain.  Cal ran up there and said "I'm the King of the Cemetery.  Here are my rules: No running, no stepping on the gravestones, and bow to me NOW!"  The way he said it was SOOOO funny!  My mom said it was a good thing she went to the bathroom before we left because she almost peed her pants when he made that funny comment.  Then it started raining a bit, so we left for home.  We had some dessert, played and talked some more, had a Google Chat with Adam & Meghan, and Grandma & Grandpa Ryerse, and went off to bed.






Monday, we woke up and had breakfast, Grandpa made us buckwheat pancakes.  Then we did some work around the house and outside a bit.  After that, we went to Anong's.  Best Thai food I've eaten!  It is soo good!  Dave's been there several times for work, but we haven't made it.  And the service and people were so good too!  We will be back lots for sure.  It's good to know this town has some quality restaurants.  Then we went home and the kids rode bikes a little.  Emma found a Robin's egg in the road, which she gently picked up and rescued.  We put it in a shoe box with tissues and put it under a light.  Unfortunately, Lucy found it too and we found a trail of egg remains on the ground and in the box.  Poor birdy, rest in peace.  Emma asked me to post it on Facebook, he he, but I totally forgot.  Then we gave hugs and kisses to Grandma and Grandpa.  Lucy kept jumping in their car, and Cal got into their trunk to try to stowaway with them!  :)  Thanks for coming, Grandma and Grandpa!  We always love having you!






That night, we did a luau (a tradition my mom started after we sold the boat and didn't have that as our Memorial Day activity anymore) with our friends the Hydes.  Emma decorated everything, and Lucy helped me cook, and Cal just ran around.  We greeted everyone with a lei and the kids decorated paper flip flops, made some palm trees.  We had Hawaiian chicken sandwiches or burgers, aloha baked beans, green salad with mango dressing, and a yummy Hawaiian slush they brought.  Then we played coconut skee ball, played around with some hula hoops and did the limbo, of course.  It was a blast to watch the kids and their facial expressions!  Then we had pina colada bundt cake with ice-cream for dessert.  It was so fun being with this great family and delicious food!  Our friends are actually heading to Hawaii soon, so this was a good way to get pumped for that.  Aloha!









No comments: