I love LDS General Conference and it seems like the messages are always directed to me! What a blessing to be able to hear the word of the Lord, to receive personal revelation, to be uplifted and at peace all weekend! We started off the weekend by going to Shakey's Pizza on Friday. We ate some pizza (used Emma's reading coupons for all of the kids) and then played some games in the arcade.
Saturday morning, it was conference time! I set up a "General Conference Store" which had prizes with different amounts on each one. Then we put out our cards (we've used these since Emma was two) that had key words and pictures on each one. We told the kids that if they heard one of the topics being talked about, they could give us the card and we'd give them a penny. Then they got their own little jar and put their pennies in that. When they got enough pennies, they could redeem them for a prize. They loved it and it held their attention. When the morning session was over, Emma said "Uh, we have to pause it?" and Cal said "Oh, I wanted to listen to more conference!" This only lasted about halfway through the afternoon session though.
Saturday night, the Bowman's came over. Josh and Dave went to the Priesthood session. And Lindsay and I talked and planned Halloween, and the kids played. Then they got back and we ate enchilladas for dinner and then some yummy molten lava cakes Linds made. We had lots of fun. The guys had fun trying on the wigs we got out to use for Halloween. I think Josh looks like Keith Stone from those beer commercials, and Dave looks like a Granny with a 5 o'clock shadow, according to one friend. Ha ha! Too funny!
Sunday was less easy to keep the kid's attention. But they were really good still and I actually got quite a bit out of Conference this time around. What powerful messages were shared!
A few of my favorite thoughts/feelings/ideas from Conference...
Wow, Missionary age for young men can now be 18 and for women 19. Incredible. The Lord's work is continuing to go forth!
Loved Elder Cook's talk and it inspired me to do more to teach my family the Gospel all I can.
"I am a Mormon. I know it. I live it. I love it." -Ann M. Dibb (I can see this one on t-shirts at Deseret Book already, ha ha!)
I loved Elder Uchdorf's talk. It was a good reminder for me. Especially when he said "Don't wear busy-ness as a badge of honor." Yep. I seem to be too busy all too often. I need to be cultivating relationships and making treasured memories more than I need to be checking off my list.
"General Conference is always a good time for both hearing and doing." - President Deiter F. Uchdorf
Elder Oaks talk was so emotional for me and I felt myself getting goosebumps and wanting to make a voice for the voiceless children who are impacted by others negative choices. I am thinking and will start praying of ways I can do this.
I loved Elder Holland's talk on casting our nets and following the Savior and being a true disciple.
Some of the reoccuring themes (AKA Important things!) seemed to be family, being converted, relying on the Atonement, and following the example of the Savior.
I've heard, now I hope I will DO! <3 and="and" christ="christ" church="church" day="day" direct="direct" for="for" grateful="grateful" guide="guide" is="is" jesus="jesus" latter="latter" lord="lord" nbsp="nbsp" of="of" p="p" saints="saints" savior="savior" servants="servants" so="so" the="the" this="this" to="to" who="who" whose="whose" work="work"> 3>



No comments:
Post a Comment