Saturday, January 24, 2009

A happy, [belated] Wicked birthday to me!


I had a great birthday, a few weeks ago on January 7. Most of the day was pretty normal, it seems to get more that way the older I get. And speaking of that, I honestly didn't know how old I was turning. I thought my mom was crazy growing up that she didn't know how old she was, and now I'm doing the same thing!

Emma was sweet to sing happy birthday lots, and when Dave got off work and school, we went up to Maddox in Perry for dinner. I had bison-fried steak and their yummy rolls. To top it all off we had cheesecake, which is my favorite food of all-time. Our little boy was crying quite a bit at the restaurant, which was kind of sad. He's usually so good but was pretty colicky that night.

Because my birthday is so close to others in my family, we share birthday parties, which is fun. On the Stoddard side, I had a co-birthday party with Kolby. We had coconut shrimp (yum!), BBQ chicken sandwiches, and caramel apple cheesecake, and just talked forever. For the Ryerse side, I share my birthday with Julie. We had Subway and cheesecake and lemon cake Julie made (she's a little baker...I call her Julie Crocker). The trick candles we had got pretty smoky. My favorite part of birthdays with the Ryerse's is the singing of "Happy Birthday". It is crazy! The first time I heard it, I laughed so hard I couldn't sing, I was crying. They turn off the lights and everyone sings on whatever key they want, as loud as they want, whatever they want. Everyone is singing in their own style and is so crazy! It is halarious!


For my birthday present, Dave got me Wicked tickets! I am so excited to go! Dave and Brandon (Bills) got up early in the morning at 2:30 a.m. to be in Salt Lake at the Capitol Theatre by 3:30 a.m. (ZZZZ!) in December. It was pretty cold outside, those poor boys. I had a feeling they would be on the news the night before, and sure enough, shortly after 6 a.m., Dave called me to tell me the Fox 13 News truck pulled up. So I flipped it on, put a tape in the VCR to record, and a few minutes later, Ninevah Dinhah interviewed them. This is basically how the conversation went:






Ninevah: "So what made you want to come stand out in the cold here to get Wicked tickets?" Dave: "Well, I am a fan of musicals, and he (pointing to Brandon) is a great fan of musicals." (Then they talked a little bit about what Wicked is about) Brandon: "Yeah, our wives sent us out here, while they're warm in bed." Ninevah: "Awww, So you must be good husbands, then?" Dave: "Yeah, we're really good husbands." (To which everyone in line with them began snickering). It was pretty funny. Here's part of the video footage that was shown on the news with Brandon and Dave:

http://www.myfoxutah.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail;jsessionid=31D1E53D8235DE777A2E8B825079DAD7?contentId=8060444&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1
So we're excited to go...that is, if we don't sell our tickets on eBay. They've been selling pretty well and we could make a little profit, so it is tempting. But otherwise, I'm looking forward to a great show!

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Happy Birthday! I didn't realize it was a couple weeks ago or I would have told you at Olive Garden :)! Sounds like you had a fun one! I love Maddox's yummy rolls! That's awesome that you got tickets to wicked! I hear it's supposed to be pretty awesome! That's pretty cool Dave was on the news too!

Nicole said...

That sounds like a lot of fun! and lots of Cheesecake! I'm a little jealous. And Wicked tickets too! You're one lucky gal! I'm dying to see it again, but I don't think it comes to Houston :P Enjoy!

Keri said...

SO Maddox's rolls with their raspberry butter is the BEST of all time! I want to go now. It looks like you had a good bday - sorry I couldn't congratulate you on your bday. I want to see Wicked so bad - have fun!

WEmily said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I'm glad you had a fun time with lots of yummy food. You're so lucky that you get to see Wiched. That's awesome!!

Kristen said...

So much fun, Mels! Happy Birthday!

Matt and Jade said...

We found you finally. For some reason I have discovered, that I cant spell. Check us out matthewandjade.blogspot.com